Monday 5 August 2013

Polymer Clay Mokume Game

In a early post last year I blogged about Mokume Gane with Polymer Clay, well this post is a slightly different variation on the technique.

There is a great YouTube video by Julie Picarello where she shows you how to make some gorgeous pieces and I highly recommend you take a look.

Here is my first attempt using this technique.

Colour selection for polymer clay Mokume Gane stack by Lottie Of London
Colour selection for polymer clay Mokume Gane stack
 I selected my colours for the technique and run them through my pasta machine two at a time to get the desired length, as you can see I combined each darker colour with a lighter colour.


Light on dark polymer clay strips - Mokume Gane by Lottie Of London
Light on dark polymer clay strips

Polymer clay stack for Mokume Gane by Lottie of London
Polymer clay stack for Mokume Gane

 I them combined the four colours again using the pasta machine and cut my long slices to achieve a stack following the dark/light colour combination.


The stack has been indented with a pattern - Moume Gane by Lottie Of London
The stack has been indented with a pattern

Now this is where the technique differs slightly previously my indenting on the stack was more random this time I went for a more structured pattern on the clay.

Mokume Gane slices taken from my polymer clay stack by Lottie of London
Mokume Gane slices taken from my polymer clay stack


Also differing from the last technique when it came to slicing my I clay previously shaved off random slices that where applied to a backing sheet of clay.  This time I cut deeper which left me with four thicker slices of pattered clay to work with and create some pendants from.

Here are my cut pendant shapes ready to be cooked and crafted into some lovely jewellery pieces.



My polymer clay Mokume Gane pendant pieces ready for cooking by Lottie Of London
My polymer clay Mokume Gane pendant pieces ready for cooking

This post is part of Handmade Monday, why not pop on over to Handmade Monday and check out more great crafter's over on Handmade Harbours Handmade Monday



7 comments:

  1. This is so fascinating - I don't work with polymer clay, but always enjoy reading your blog - I'm always amazed how at the end it all makes great pattern and looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mixture of colours, I had no idea you could be that creative with coloured clay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty. I keep thinking I would love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these colours together, it looks very striking. It reminds me of dropping paint onto oiled water.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not entirely sure on how you you got to the end product but I love how it turns out. The patterns created in the clay are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this. I'm totally unfamiliar with fimo techniques and it looks interesting to see how these things are made.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments and views on my work, thank you